Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why Every One is a Schizo

I recently switched to a new job in a new industry with a whole new group of people. I went from working in an industry with majority of women, to an industry with majority of men. 


I also chose a college major that had majority women so this whole majority men thing is a little new to be in the professional scene. 


Initially, I thought it would be a big adjustment. I assumed working with all men would be easier, they are the simpler sex. Turns out, men/women - doesn't matter. They are all psychos. 


When you work with all women, you have to play the game. You have to make sure not to hurt feelings, to stroke egos and to remain neutral. You have to compliment shoes (even if they are white patent peep toes, die.), hair and make sure everyone thinks you're their bestie. You might even say 'we're like, besties.' You can't be the prettiest in the office, or the funniest -- and if you are (ahem, duh) then you better just shut the hell up. Women in the office like to be the center of attention, and if you're not competition, you're a gal pal. In an 8-5 job where you just want to go to work and go home to pet your dog, you want to be a gal pal. If you're trying to get promoted, you have to be competition. So, its basically exactly like high school. With more Dell computers. 


When you work with all men, you're fighting every stereotype since...mmm...1940 or so. Men have a really hard time grasping that you're not someone's secretary, assistant, piece of ass, mistress. In fact, even when you tell them your job title/general duties/rough job description and resume in detail, they will still refer to you as someone's assistant. Sometimes you go with it, and sometimes - blind rage. Sometimes a bitch snaps and someone says the wrong thing at the wrong time and they get the middle finger pointed at phone and a very passive aggressive tone. This confuses the man, as they are unsure of the source of this anger. Here is the difference -- while a woman would hold this grudge against you for months maybe years, a man will forget it happened in 3...2...1. The draw of them forgetting this is that they also forgot that you're not an assistant. 


And the worst kind of person - a man who has a woman mindset. A man who gets his feelings hurt, plays games, gossips and then calls you an assistant and makes a comment about your looks. I will poke your eyes out with my ballpoint. Because the thing is, you don't get to be both. It's hard on the rest of us and how can I plan a strategy around your confusing gender traits? It's a mind fuck, so quit it. 


A week ago, I met an industry partner's girlfriend at a work function. I have to admit, it was nice to be in a work setting and around a girl. It had been awhile and for like 16 seconds I was like, this is nice.  And then she started talking about what hell hole small town she's from, how she met her middle-aged balding overweight boyfriend (what a catch!), and what she does for a living. People love LOVE talking about themselves, don't they? Don't care. 


"I work for 3M," she says in a tone that makes me think she thinks her job is bananas. 


In the context of my situation -- I work in an industry where everything is an acronym. Entire sentences are broken down into acronyms and It's Absolutely Ridiculous - IAR. 


So when she says 3M I'm assuming it's an acronym for something really complex like Mechanical Methods of Minnesota...or something like that.


Then she starts talking about adhesives and - light bulb. Fucking tape. She sells fucking scotch tape. And this is more than I can handle because how do you tell someone on a elevator/airplane/wedding that you sell tape? And when you have a business conversation with a stranger at a bar, how does this roll of the tongue -  'what I'd really like to talk to you about is what kind of adhesive you're using...Waitress, I'll take another Merlot. Anyway...back to tape...'


And she goes on an on about her clients, tape, tape, tape blah I don't know I blacked out I'm making this part up.


When all I'd really like to talk about is how much sterling silver she's wearing. 


So anyway, in a general consensus I've decided there is no 'better' in working with all men or all women. Every one is nuts. The only person that makes any sense to me is the fat black mother of 6 receptionist with a gold tooth that sexually harasses me on a daily basis, telling me, 'GIIIIIIIIRRRLLLLL YOU HOT! YOU GOT IT GOIN ON! Sista, you got it." 


Because isn't that all anyone wants to hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment