Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Unplugging

Recently, I went to New York City with my mom. As we pull into the airport, I realize I've left behind a rather important appendage. My iPhone.

Too far in to turn around, and (trust me, I called) it was going to be $90 to overnight the phone to my hotel. When I paid $199 for the phone, and I spend money on a lot of stupid shit, I can't justify.

I was going to have to go on without it. Sob.

Connectivity. Creativity. Portal to document life. Instant access. All the things that really get me going.

So after melting down, and checking and re-checking my car, purse, etc. I decide that maybe leaving my iPhone behind wasn't a complete death sentence. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to disconnect, unplug, and relive 1995. Plus, I had my iPad so that would get me through the weekend, probably.

Probably. Yeah, this will be fine.

The thing about disconnecting is, just no. While I envisioned myself a little granola, a lot free spirit and frolicking around NYC like it was the goddamn 1990s, like most of my ideas, that didn't exactly pan out. I was anxious, lost, without purpose. How is anyone supposed to get anywhere without Siri?

Just kidding, that bitch is worthless.

If you're going to experiment with 'unplugging' - New York City is not the place. Connectivity Mecca. Have you seen Times Square? Every asshole is - not on - but OF their iPhone. It is an extension of the modern human. The New York City rite of passage. Also, I don't typically carry a camera so I also had no way to document my trip. Balls, busted.

Guam? Peru? Those might be a appropriate places to disconnect. Because no one wants to be the douche face-timing with their BFF in a third world country. Not chic. Also you probably don't have a choice, given the number of  WIFI hot spots in Peru. I'm just saying.

So anyway, everyone likes to entertain the idea of 'disconnecting' from phone, email, Internet, Siri - but the reality is, that is not our world. We are the instant information junkies. How many of you twerps Googled 'Whitney Houston' when you heard the news - just to be sure that it was true? It's like a 'what? NO WAY' thought and then 'let me scour the entire Internet in 90 seconds to be sure' ... 'it's true. People Magazine said so.'

I'm sure someone will read this and think, WHAT a shallow bitch. Well that's not very nice and do you kiss your mama with that mouth?

Point is, disconnecting, like pedicures - while designed to be relaxing and mind-cleansing, ends up making you feel more stressed, lost, and empty than before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment